If you truly want to find success beyond your own ruts in life, you need to find a mentor or two. A mentor is simply someone who has gone where you want to be.
Benefits of Having a Mentor
The best way to ever “make your own path” as we like to say at Beyond the Rut is to learn from the journeys of those who have gone before you. Benefits of having a mentor include, but are not limited to the following:
- Learn from your mentor’s successes
- Learn from your mentor’s mistakes
- Gain insights on the keys to success you don’t find in a textbook
- Gain insights into your own blind spots
- Accountability for what you say you want to accomplish
- Encouragement from someone who knows it can be done
How to Find a Mentor in Business
The number one piece of advice we can give you when it comes to finding a mentor in business is to stick with those who have a proven track record in business. It may seem like we are stating the obvious, but you don’t want to take advice about business from someone who has never run a business. You don’t want advice about writing a book from someone who has never published anything.
Some questions to ask yourself before you seek a mentor in business may be like the question below.
- Has the person been in the SAME business for a number of years? Beware of charlatans who move from one business to another every few months.
- Does the person have a positive reputation, especially when it comes to character?
- Does this person’s journey line up with my own?
- Am I willing to authentically open up to this person?
- Am I willing to be held accountable to my own goals and challenges?
The answer to the above should be, yes, because they will be the best mentors for you.
Go Find a Mentor!
The boldest move you can make is to go find a person who will spend time to pour into you. Be ready to give that mentoring relationship your all if you do, otherwise you’re wasting the time of your mentor.
The person you wish to mentor you directly may not be available. In that case, we recommend you either find another person who is having success and shows similar influence of the person your originally sought.
In the meantime, absorb as much content as you can apply from those who inspire you. The best mentors know they cannot serve everyone in a mentoring relationship. Their books, podcasts, and other forms of media are meant to make up for that. Take advantage of that first. Doing so will allow you to take a mentor relationship to a deeper level if you get to that bold level.
Consider Mentoring Others
While this episode is about finding a mentor, allow yourself to be found as well. Mentoring benefits the mentor as much as it does the person being mentored. The deeper and more authentic a mentor relationship is the more a mentor can grow as well. Mentoring is also a great way to leave your mark in this world through influencing other people you meet.
Resources and Links
Listen to Brandon share about Putting Things in Perspective After BypassSurgery – BtR 150
Read this article from Huffpost,9Characteristics of a Good Mentoring Relationship by Rajesh Setty
Read this article from ForbesMagazine, 5Ways to Get the Most Out of Mentor Relationship by Ashira Prossack
Also from Forbes Magazine,8Tips for an Amazing Mentor Relationship by Laurence Bradford
Connect with Us
Facebook Beyond the Rut