Do a New Thing, Just One Simple Thing
“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.” – not actually Albert Einstein
When we feel like we are stuck in a rut, it’s already hard to see a way out. Some of us get to that realization that it’s time to climb out but wind up doing the same things that got us stuck and keep us stuck in the first place.
Christa Hutchins felt the same way in her career as a people leader in the chemical engineering industry. It was the same routine going nowhere for her, until one day she prayed for something different. The immediate answer was not what she was looking for, but what came next has had her on the journey of a lifetime. All she had to do at that point was do a new thing, just one simple thing.
The Internet is rife with list articles that say the “top 10” ways to improve something or the “top 100” ways to be a better leader, etc. The podcast Christa started encourages listeners to try just one simple and practical thing to get out of their rut.
In This Episode
Here are some of the topics discussed in this episode:
- Working in a job stuck in a career-limiting project
- Perseverance to find and do a new thing that aligned with your values and talents
- When your heart is somewhere else you’re not fully utilized or engaged
- Turning to prayer for guidance and getting that answer that doesn’t make sense
- Your position is your ministry field, be different at work, be an ambassador for Christ
- Having new knowledge without doing a new thing with that new knowledge is useless
- You won’t know all the possible variables before you launch, and action brings clarity
- Serving and getting connected even when you’re at your lowest
- Take the “What Kind of Stuck Are You?” Quiz
Christa Hutchins, Host of Just One Simple Thing Podcast
Christa loves to help people turn vague, scary, confusing ideas into specific plans to accomplish a goal, one step at a time.
She is a proud graduate of the University of Florida with a degree in Chemical Engineering and worked for a global engineering and construction contractor for over 25 years. Her experience includes leading teams on large and small projects on several continents.
One day, it dawned on her that she felt stuck in a rut. It was through prayer that she discovered she needed to first bloom where planted and be prepared for what is next. When it was time to do a new thing, she took the leap.
Today, Christa volunteers for Proverbs 31 Ministries Online Bible Studies, participated on various mission trips domestically and internationally.
South Louisiana is home for Christa and her husband as they enjoy the life of empty nesters. Their grown children live nearby and they see them often. Christa says, you usually will find her with her nose stuck in a book or sipping on a triple tall, non-fat peppermint mocha, extra hot, from Starbucks!
Resources and Links
What Kind of Stuck Are You Quiz at DoANewThing.com/Quiz
Listen to these past episodes:
Connect with Us
Facebook Beyond the Rut
Call or Text (469) 608-0355
Host, Editing, and Production: Jerry Dugan
Music: “Oceans Apart” is our theme song composed and performed by Scott Ian Holmes.