Table of Contents
About Megan Vowler
Megan Vowler is a mom blogger who shares her life story and adventures. In July 2016, she and her husband, Mitch, received shocking news during Megan’s pregnancy from a routine genetic screening. The results showed there was a high risk for Trisomy 21, Down syndrome.
Listen to this episode as Megan Vowler shares her story of how they handled their surprising news and the blessing it has been to raise a child with Down Syndrome. In fact, you’ll discover why Megan says having a child with Down Syndrome was “the best gift you never wished for.”
Megan is a first-time mom, Texas-transplanted to Pennsylvania, foodie, Aggie, traveler, football-enthusiast, and sometimes-worker-outer. Her life’s mantra is simply, “You just really don’t know what’s going to happen [in life]” so make the most of what you have.
- How did Megan react to the results of her Non-invasive Prenatal Test?
- How did Megan find and draw support from a community?
- The challenge of staying open to that supportive community, and responding to the few “negative Nancys”
- Having a vision for her daughter’s life beyond the hurdles of Down Syndrome.
- Working with what you have been given in life.
- What has been the most impactful interaction since sharing her story?
Non-Invasive Prenatal Test (NIPT)
NIPTs are blood tests that take a look at the placental DNA that is in the mother’s bloodstream during pregnancy. This is the screening that Megan Vowler had, which prepared her for having a child with Down Syndrome. It is non-invasive to the child in the womb, and you can learn more by clicking this link.
Resources and Links
Visit Megan Vowler’s blog, The Path We Travel.
National Down Syndrome Society, ndss.org
KidsHealth.org from Nemours – Down Syndrome, http://kidshealth.org/en/parents/down-syndrome.html
National Association for Down Syndrome, www.nads.org
Connect with Us
Email: [email protected]
Facebook: Beyond the Rut